Thread: Open to suggestions on my 2001 TJ

Time Online: 6 Hrs 5 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs

Open to suggestions on my 2001 TJ

Here's my ride. I need new tires soon. I've got a few ideas about what I want to do to modify the overall look, but I'd love some feedback and ideas if anyone wants to throw them out there for conversation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jeep For Sale 004.jpg   Jeep For Sale 005.jpg   Jeep For Sale 006.jpg   Jeep For Sale 021.jpg  

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 6 Secs
    Need more info

Is this a DD, weekend warrior or mall crawler?

I do have one thing I would suggest right away and it won't cost you anything...

Bra's are meant for women not jeeps! (or any other thing on wheels for that matter)
    Last edited by craveneh; 10-29-2009 at 01:59 AM.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Day 19 Hrs 44 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 4 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    Need more info

Is this a DD, weekend warrior or mall crawler?

I do have one thing I would suggest right away and it won't cost you anything...

Bra's are meant for women not jeeps! (or any other thing on wheels for that matter)
    I disagree.

I've seen many women who should not have been wearing bras!

Also, if this is your DD, leave the bra on. You'd be amazed at how many rock chips and bug impacts it will save your paint from.

I had a bra made up on my rig with truck bedliner. Works great and I like the look of it too.
    "If it's not broke, your not trying"
    -Red Green

2000 TJ, 3.5" RE Superflex lift, 1" coil spacers in front, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZs, 9500lb winch, Super 30/35 front/rear e-lockers, newly re-installed (and straightned) HD Rugged Ridge tierod and draglink

Card carrying member of Team Red. Or would be if we had cards.....

My Mood
    Tired
    I would agree with the bra for a long road trip but I have seen the after affect of a long term bra and the moisture is kept on the inner fabric and it can cause rust on the seams. I would assume if you douched it with oil or some rust preventative it would be better.

^
    Agreed, didn't think about that.
    Like I said, mine is done in truck bed liner so no moisture underneath.

Thanks everyone. I'll give you some more information here:

This is my only ride and I'm not about to take it into high-risk situations. I go to Algonquin a lot, and I drive a lot of backroads in the summer and winter, so it's meant to be pretty for show either. I want to make it look more bad-ass for lack of a better adjective.

If you look at the California tops banner on this page, there is a white Jeep with a bikini top that has diamond plating along the bottom of the door, where I have Sahara cladding right now. I like the look that white Jeep a lot.

So, my ideas so far are to replace the cladding with diamond plating. I also want to replace the wheel flairs with black ones, possibly including that new rivoted look that I've seen on the new XJs. I want bigger tires with a lift as well. I have no problem peeling off that bra, either. I was thinking about getting a stainless grill to replace the blue one that I have now.

While my rims are nice, they are 15s and as far I understand, they can't accomodate a 32 or 33 inch tire. 35s are probably a bit much for me, unless it's possible to keep my Jeep squat. I don't want it up too high off the ground. I also drive a fair amount in the summer and I need to maintain some level of efficiency and economy for normal driving / commuting.

The Jeep is a 4 cylinder, 5 speed.

Hope this helps. I've talked to National 4x4 so far and as igotafrigginjeep pointed out, my spending will be $1500 to start in no time. I'm definitely resourceful, but I'm no mechanic, so doing the work myself (lift and tires) isn't really an option.

Thanks again. Let me know what you think.

Installing the lift is easy.
    If you can turn something left to right, or right to left, you can install a lift.

Now, when something breaks, that's time to get resourceful.

If I was to do mine again, I would leave the stock shocks in, take it to a shop and have them install the shocks. Dealing with the upper shock mounting bolts when they break is a PITA.

As for what you've stated so far, personally I would recommend going with a budget boost lift (spacers that go in between the springs and isolator) and 31" tires.
    Anything bigger than 31s and you will be regearing your axles ($1400 or so). Add to that the cost of your lift, then the cost of your tires and you're at a few thousand bucks.

A cheap way to get 3-4" of lift is install 2" coil spacers and a 1-2" body lift.

So, for shocks (because I need them asap, but I've been delaying for the lift) can I just get my regular mechanic to put new ones in, or should I install a certain type of customized shock?

Your shocks need to match your lift height.
    Not much point in installing new shocks, just to change them out in a few weeks (or months or when you do your lift).

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Mind you, if you need to get shocks NOW, you could get ones that will fit your current lift (if/when you put a 2" BB on), and then if you decide to go with a 4" lift you can get spacers/BPE's that should make up the difference without having to buy new shocks. Plus, if you get the spacers, when your new shocks wear out and you buy 4" lifted shocks, you can re-sell your spacers!

My advice, and please take it with a big grain of salt, would be to put a 2" budget boost on, and go with 31" tires. Driveability won't really suffer, it'll look sweet, you can get a BB used one here (or other places) for cheap; and when/if you decide to go up, you can either incorperate your BB (Body lift, or taller springs), or you can re-sell your BB for pretty darn close what you paid for it. (If you buy it used.)

Just my thoughts.

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

My Mood
    Tired
    You can get a 2.25" budget boost off ebay for around $80. If you have 4 or 5 hours its easy to install but you need some basic tools and a good hard rubber or leather mallet.

I have done one of these and I didn't need to do any other changes. No vibrations etc.

I have had a 4cyl tj before and I personally would not go with anything bigger than 31's. 32's were painful and 4th and 5th gears for the most part were useless.

The flares you were talking about come up the odd time used if you keep an eye on here. If you buy them new they can cost several hundred dollars and they can me a PITA to change because the nutserts can and most likely do strip and that takes a long time to cut out and channge.

A lot of people pull the bumperettes off, you can get a new warn bumper for about $300 and change. 6 bolt to change that.

Winch and winch plate if you are ambitious. You can get into a half decent new one from about $400 for the winch depending on what you want to spend.

I know this doesn't count for looks but if you haven't had it oil sprayed I would suggest you clean it including flushing out the frame and have it done. (IMHO its the most important thing to do after oil changes etc) It will add years to you enjoyment especially if its a DD.

If you ever need to replace your upper doors you may want to check out the glass sliders now available. You can actually scrape the glass and open you windows in the winter months. Also more secure than the regular windows.