Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tech questions. Help us help you.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 35 Secs

Tech questions. Help us help you.

So you own a Jeep, wheel it or not, it'll break down and you'll need help. So is any other vehicle really, but this is the Jeep Tech Section. Here are a few suggestions to get as many users to help you with your problem, or at least offer an opinion or experience that may help you.

Put your question in the right section: Pretty self explanatory.

Thread title: First impressions are important right? Well so are thread titles. Threads with pretty bad titles will likely have many people just skimp over them without a thought. So do your best to start with a decent title. Short, descriptive, and to the point. Examples bellow.

Really crappy: "What do you guys think?", "Anyone else have this problem", "What should I do?"
    OK: "Jeep stalls"
    Good: "Jeep stalls in gear"
    Much better: "95 YJ stalls in drive"

Whats the difference? The last sentence, although short, managed to tell what you drive, what the problem is, and when it happens. Not to mention a good thread title will also help the next person with the same problem. A quick search will bring up the good titles thread and help someone else out.

What do you drive: Since no one is psychic, theres a good chance no one will guess what you drive unless you tell us. Your thread title told us a little bit about what you drive, now fill in the blanks. "95 YJ, 4 cylinder, stock drive train, 31" all terrians, K&N filter, and magnaflow exhaust". Guess what? What you drive and what mods you've done, will actually have an impact on the problem and solution. To get better answers in shorter times, give the info needed, and ask for what you need right away.

Description: So now tell us what the actual problem is. Concise works best. Don't start off with a story telling us your Sunday morning routine, or your dogs name, or your favourite movies. Whats the problem? When does it happen? What have you done? Has the problem gotten better or worse with what you've done? If you're thinking of doing something, why are thinking of doing it? And what kinda of opinions are you looking?

And lastly, if the suggestions and thoughts offered has helped you, report back and say thanks that was the problem. Just so the next guy/gal doing a search will find your problem and what solution worked best, and they'll be on their marry way.

Thats it for now. Help us help you

P.S. I bring the suck when it comes to spelling at times too. Get FireFox, and use the spell checker
    Last edited by MUD DAWG; 11-10-2009 at 10:39 PM.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 27 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    Well put. Stickied.

Time Online: 2 Mths 2 Wks 4 Hrs 11 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 5 Secs
    True enough. A lot of help threads fall by the wayside around here.

A really good idea is a tech quick checklist that we could add to this thread. It would be pretty useful. The check list will be items that anyone with a problem should go through first, just to eliminate the obvious issues that many ignore, but could very well be the cause of the problem. For example.

1) Engine will crank but won't fire.
    a) Did you check for spark?
    b) Check for fuel?
    c) Battery condition?

Etc, etc. What do you think? Yeay or nay?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 27 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    set it up.

Time Online: 2 Mths 2 Wks 4 Hrs 11 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 5 Secs
    Yeah start a thread and i'm sure with everyone's knowledgeable input around here it'll come together quickly. It would eliminate the typical CPS, Starter, TPS problems.

Well fire away some suggestions, threads, links, and anything else. I'll just update this as we go along. I'll have some play time today and tomorrow.

lets get r done.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 21 Hrs 3 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 53 Secs
    What an awesome idea! Good job!

Next thing we need is an "ask the expert" section. We have such a vast array of qualified experts in here, but we don't seem to be able to capitalize on it.

I know from reading various threads that we have people, for instance, that are actually insurance brokers/reps, people that work at dealerships, people in the medical field, enforcement, etc etc.

I'm sure with a bit of a "no bashing" clause we could have these people step up and offer their proffessional help and advice.

Just a thought
    No current rig!

Member of:
    OF4WD #3737
    Jeep Company
    New Frontier

The more I think about this, the more I realize how long it would be to cover specific problems. All the different engines, drive trains, body styles. I definitely think we should stick to a basic diagnostics routine, or FAQ. If anyone has any suggestions, speak up.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    I'd support a manditory read of a "How to best write your Tech question" thread before new users are allowed to post. I see it often in Computer forums... no reason it can't work here too.

I'll write it if you'd like.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

My Mood
    Cheeky
    Time Online: 33 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Where do i find my pcv valve on my 2002 tj sport. Cantire could not find it. Not always best mechs their. Wanna get my hands dirty and start working my ride myself. Gonna do plugs and wires but like to do pcv while at it. Any ideas.not sure what to look for.

Time Online: 1 Day 10 Hrs 12 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs

Unhappy bad oilpump drive gear\cam and sensor housing gear

jdmxz
    has anyone else suffered the dreaded p0016 code? I don't know how bad the oil pump drive gear has to be to kill the camshaft but my cam sensor reluctor has half an inch of play in it and is banging like a bad rod knock. The jeep is a 2005 tj with the 4 ltr and 80 thou ks 33s cat back and I change the oil (mobil1) every 6000 and my oil pump drive gears still look toasted. Anybody else out there have this problem?

JDMXZ, you missed the point of this thread, just like Stuckndamud did. Its not to ask tech questions, but a quick guideline on how to get better help with your question.
    OF4WD 5982 & 5983

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 3 Hrs 8 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 8 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by MUD DAWG View Post
    Put your question in the right section: Pretty self explanatory.
    apparently not
    KUSS
    Stupid Fukin Nature
    OF4WD# 2660

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 4 Hrs 26 Mins 28 Secs
    hey i've got a question...
    98 cherokee np231 transfercase I snapped off the shift detent plug ( the nut part snapped and just my luck the threads are still in the transfer c ase)
    right now i've drained the transfer case and i've got a jack holding the plug in place then i applied a liber amount of j.b.weld around the plug.
    anybody think this will hold at least untill thursday???

Time Online: 4 Hrs 30 Mins 46 Secs

2005 grand cherokee factory nav not working

My 2005 jeep grand cherokee has the factory nav/6 cd changer. Recently the screen stopped working the controls on the steering wheel work intermittently the cd player does not work at all scan feature doesnt work cds wont play and you can only use the presets to change the radio station.

Has anybody else have that problem and how do you fix it

Thanks

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 5 Secs
    ^ bwahaha.

Not to be crass.... But start a thread and ask there..... The point of this thread it to help with how to ask your question.... Not to ask your question here.
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

Time Online: 3 Hrs 32 Mins 16 Secs
    Will the tranny of 4 cyl fit 6 cyl yj

Time Online: 6 Hrs 7 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    Question on fuel ecocomy, I have a 2005 jeep LJ, 165,000 kms, 4.0 lt, auto running 31 inch tires. I'm running syn.oil, new spark plugs, new air filter, checked 02 sensors (all four) But I getting 200 km to a tank (72 litre) Is this normal or why am I getting such poor mileage? I know it's a jeep and not a Honda, but isn't 200 km per tank seem a little extreme? What can I do to get a few more kms? any one on this site, own a 05 jeep tj, who can tell me what they are getting for mileage? Looking for answers, thanks.

Clearly, many years ago, we should've started this thread (and this section) with the following first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5130jzfhmxL._SX380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	102197