Thread: s10 305/350

Time Online: 1 Day 5 Hrs 55 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs

s10 305/350

got a couple questions I cant seem to get answered I apologize I suck at the interweb haha

looking to put a 305 or 350 into my s10 its a 95 4x4 its my DD so id like to make a day job out of the swap after parts are gathered .

1) aside from motor and mounts anything else to get?
    2) will the 5 speed tranny hold up to either motor?
    3) stock gearing not too sure what it is will it be enough?
    4) can the stock wiring harness be used to make a carbed motor work?

any other tips or tricks would be great my 4.3 is getting tired and id like a couple more ponies

Up the Hill from "Shrek's Swamp" and down the road from "Cultural Hub of the universe"
    Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 9 Hrs 14 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 6 Secs
    1) a bigger rad, exhaust that won't interfear with the steering shaft.
    2)are you running a 4.3 now? if yes the trans will be fine. If not change it.
    3)Why do you need more gear, the motor is bigger. Gearing changes with tire size or trans ratio IE. 5 spd, 4spd, 3spd, auto, standard.
    4) yes
    86 CJ Juggy
    67 Chevy Step side
    79 C20

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 40 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 3 Secs
    i belive you need a different oil pan for V8 swap in a 4x4
    Some bolt on crap some weld on junk and 35's

Time Online: 6 Days 10 Hrs 20 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 31 Secs
    why not keep it fuely ?ecm and engine harness are probably only changes .

simplicity is the only reason it is my DD so the truck couldnt be down for more than a day or two and fuelie I see being a pain in my nuts . would the tank need to be modified to run the carb? I was told a corvette rad would be best for clearance would electric fans be needed or would the mechanical fan hold up just fine?

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    the stock 4.3 harness plugs right into the small block tbi system you just need the eprom"chip" from the doner trucks computer.

its way easyer than hooking up a carb as you will need fuel pump,line and tank mods if you dont stay with tbi

does the stock harness plug into everything or does it need to be modified?

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 9 Secs
    You may need to put a fuel regulator on. Some pumps that are meant for F.I are too much pressure for a carb.

Someone else may be more informed on this as I have only read this and have no personal experience with this.

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 9 Secs
    Would it not be cheaper to put another 4.3 in. Depending on what year the 4.3 and what year the 305/350 the horsepower and torque may be better in the 4.3.

Driveablilty with a F.I would be much better IMHO.

My personal pick would be the 5.3 or 6.0 as your fuel economy on a d.d would get much better but you are looking at a minimum of 2k for the powertrain and you are around 300hp and 350 torque and you can get different variariations that can get you much more. Downfall is you can get a 350 or 4.3 for peanuts these days.

cheaper probably , not as much fun though haha I have 2 305s in the shop as well as a 350 just waiting for something I am just looking for a little more power out of the little truck and when I found out it was basic plug and play it was another push in the "DO IT!" direction. a 350 can be a decent motor with a little work and thats basically all im after . keep up the info suggestions anything .

Time Online: 12 Hrs 53 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    350 swaps are done ALL the time. An S10 forum would have tons of info on it!

as for the FI vs. Carb, afaik FI is always under pressure where carb isn't.

also the 350 has TONS of aftermarket support!

been on the s10 sites just looking to get other opinions and I value the advice of the guys on here

Time Online: 6 Days 10 Hrs 20 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 31 Secs
    is your 4.3 throttle body or multiport ?I seem to remember a bastard year or two around
    '94 .Also,the v8's you have,are any of them fuelly simuler to your s10 ?

I got all the shit for the fuelie , my 4.3 is a TB I will probably just stick to TB again for simplicity

Time Online: 6 Days 19 Hrs 30 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Secs
    Sanderson Headers fit best. You can also have the left side manifold machined down about 3/4 of an inch, if you have access to a milling machine.
    Wiring for starter, use the stock ones. If you use a carb with an old style distributor (coil in cap), all you need to activate it is a 12V key operated source.
    You can make a plate to move your existing motor mounts forward about an inch.
    The 4.3 rad should work ok, if its in decent shape and aluminum..just keep an eye on the guage. You will probably have to modify the shroud, or use an electric fan. I hear one off a Tempo fits and works great..(no personal experiance in that regard)
    The swap works best with an old style short water pump, but that also means you have to change ALL the pulleys..its a fan clearance issue more than anything.
    They have a severly weak ass rear end, with a 7.5 R&P..an 8.8 explorer is almost a bolt in. Similar to a YJ swap. Get a dealer to run your VIN for ratio, and match it up.
    I did a ton of V8 S10 swaps years ago, and made and sold the aftermarket parts in my Dealership. As engine swaps go, its one of the easiest.
    I'd go with the TBI if you can figure out the wiring

whats is there to figure out with the wiring?

Time Online: 6 Days 19 Hrs 30 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Secs
    Just making it run. The ECM is NOT the same, and I doubt changing the prom is going to make it work without coding. If you where to use the ECM from the donor truck, probably not an issue.
    As much as I am a carb guy..having done a SBC swap into my YJ, after having not messed with carbs for a few years..Carbs are a pain in the ass, just from the cold start perspective, and the gas mileage sucks.
    The Jeep I am building now (just started it) is going to be injected, with a stand alone system. probably FAST injection..also simple, self learning and reprogramable with no laptop, and will handle up to 600 horseys. but mucho dollaro's

I did my first v8 S10 swap in 1982. The first short box truck that came into my dealership was MINE, and I had the 4cyl ripped out and a small block installed in it and running/driving, in two days. I used exhaust and rad off a old Monza V8. I built 6 of them altogether, one super pro, tubbed, with 14x32's.and it ran high 9's on the street, with a ZZ3 crate motor and a dominator, on a NASCAR intake, and Sanderson headers, which, after several other brands tried, fit the best. The issue with the exhaust is clearing the steering shaft.

cant believe the help I am getting its awesome keep it up. so my 1 day therory is shot haha is it realistic to aim for 2 days? will using the donor computer cause any other issues with the truck or is everything compatable

bump for unanswered questions