Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extrem XJ Rocker replacement

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 20 Hrs 11 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 47 Secs

Extrem XJ Rocker replacement

I bought my cherokee for two hundred bucks knowing that quite a bit of work will mandatory to get it on the road. the floors

where shot so i cut out the swiss cheese and replaced them. Generously beefing things up as I go. I am now on the rockers. I

did quite a bit of research in rocker re-pare and replacement and this is what I have decided to do.

I copied the idea form madxj.com for using 2/6 steel beams to replace the old rockers because it sounded and looked bad ass.

But I didn't want to cut all of the rocker out all the way to the base of pilers with the decision of skipping the step of trimming

the bottom of the doors as well.

Step one: Cut out old burned out rockers.

Rust

More Rust

Cut out revealing even more rust

some grinding later to clean things up a bit

I cut out the rocker from right below the doors to the inner body seam that runs along the floor pan. The outer seam which

was in the middle of the two cuts was also rusted out and was no longer needed for the treatment that was going to take

place. I also cut the bottom of the front fender off flush with the bottom of the doors.

Step two: Then I took one inch wide flat bar and cut it to the length of the sill that remains under the bottom of the doors to

help re-enforced it for when the 2/6 would need to be welded in. two weld the flat bar in place i drilled 3/8 holes

approximately 4 inches apart along the top of the sill to spot weld the flat bar in place.

under the sill with holes drilled.

one inch flat bar and area of re-enforcement.

Clamped and preped.

all welded in.

My Mood
    Drunk
    Step three: I then took 2 by 2 angle and cut it to the length of the inner body seam.

Then i notching and cut out the areas where the angle couldn't cover. Like around the seatbelt bracket and the rubber plugs

along the side of the seam. Drilled spot weld holes and welded her in. The position of the angle was four inches from the

bottom of the angle to the top of the sill where the plastic covers along the sill are mounted.

All welded in.

This picture shows the angle and the flat bar welded in

I couldn't wait to see what the 2/6 looked like so I slide a six foot piece in.

Starting to look sick

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

more steps will be posted tomorrow

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 5 Hrs 29 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 5 Secs
    looks killer, i have to do the same with my zj
    1987 yj, 44 front, 9" rear, ramsey winch, 38.5" Boggers
    360ci, BACK IN ACTION
    1996 Grand Cherokee Limited, STOCK .....BOOOOOOOOO

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 34 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 47 Secs
    very nice work, and good design for those who aren't big on welding the 2x4 (2x6) directly to the sheet metal.
    your idea gives the added benefit of being able to weld the angle and 1" flat stock to "more" sheet, giving added strength when you go to weld the rectangle pieces... really well done.

looking forward to seeing the end product, but kudo's for the work done so far.
    insert something witty here

My Mood
    Busy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 17 Hrs 25 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 53 Secs
    thanks for posting this.
    ive been putting it off for some time now, ill have to do something like this soon.

My Mood
    Drunk
    Step 4: Now knowing that the 2/6 is going to fit i did some measurements. Because a I'am trimming my wheel wells one inch

the length of the 2/6 had to be 65.5 inches from end to end for the top length with a 70 degree cut at the front and a 65

degree cut at the back to match the curve in the wheel well.

beam in cut to 65.5'' with angles cut

I then capped the ends of the 2/6

now with the 2/6 in place i marked where i would need to weld on it and took it out.

Time for some high strength industrial black paint

I taped off the marks where i needed to weld then gave the 2/6 and the inside of the rocker area a good coat of paint.

As I didn't want to watch paint dry i made the driver side rocker and drilled and notched another piece of angle will I waited

Step 5: weld the beast in

I couldn't completely get the beam welded in cause I ran out of weld wire. haha

tomorrow i will finish welding it in and then start on the other side

My Mood
    Drunk
    Both rockers are installed and looks sick. cost me around 75$ in steel and three days of work. Was an easy and affective upgrade and I recommend doing the same or similar to it. Don't waste money on factory replacement rocker panels

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 23 Hrs 15 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 29 Secs
    ya i got to do same on mine but my rockers were already cut when i got mine thanks for the tips

My Mood
    Bored
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 13 Hrs 39 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 45 Secs
    i got to do the same with mine as well on the new xj i got some rust issues on the dirvers side rocker pass. side is mint but ill cut it off theres bound to be rust on the back side of it lol

very well written step by step and detailed pictures.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

i got to do the same with mine as well on the new xj i got some rust issues on the dirvers side rocker pass. side is mint but ill cut it off theres bound to be rust on the back side of it lol

very well written step by step and detailed pictures.
    91 cherokee - 33-12.50x15 pro comp's xtreme, 6inch lift custom bumpers rock sliders.
    qouted from craveneh: I have actually shortened mine by about 2 feet. I know I loose power but it was too big , And it still works good

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Looks solid...

Nicely done!

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

My Mood
    Bored
    post up a finished picture please

My Mood
    Drunk
    Thanks Bro. Ya the rockers have got to be one of the biggest head aches on the XJ's for rusting out. You are probably 100% correct on rust growing on the inside.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

I will post finished pics tomorrow

My Mood
    Drunk
    Here are some pics of the finished rockers. I will do a better paint job on them when I finish all the other body work.

My Mood
    Bored
    looks good ! on a side note are you going do any thing to the lower rear 1/4's for clearance ? i cut mine and capped them off higher up. If you go to my profile I have pictures in my album of what I mean if you dont have a clue of what I'm talking about. plus it will get rid of that rust you got going on.

My Mood
    Drunk
    Ya I have been tossing the idea of either repairing the rear 1/4 or hacking them off like what you did. I think i am going to cut out the rust and patch the holes then get rear quarter 1/8 inch armor plates for it because I just picked up a set of bushwacker flares for it and they run all the way down. I like what you did though. I might do that in the future.

Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 1 Hr 47 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 3 Secs
    Nice write up! I did the same 2/6" on my 2-door, but went as high as I could. My doors had some rot in the bottom, so I really wanted to cut the bottoms off too. It looks much faster/easyier to do it just below the doors like you did, but the extra 2" of ground clearance is well worth it IMO. How do ya like welding up in there? I had a hard time with it were you welded the angle iron to the floor/sill plate. I eventually got enough boogers to hold! Mine were around 65" long on the 2-door also.

Again, Nice job, and write up.
    1991 Xj Gone to a new home.
    1948 willys Jeep pickup sitting and waiting.
    1984 toyota currently beating & building.

OF4WD #6069

Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 1 Hr 47 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 3 Secs
    Just a pic to add, and to referance the differences I'm describing here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rocker.jpg  
    Last edited by stickyken; 04-21-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: grammor

My Mood
    Drunk
    Thanks stickyken. Ya Welding was kind of an issue on the first side that I did because I didn't really clean where I had to weld. I still had cool tool and metal shavings all over the angle from my drill press when I welded it in. It caused the cool tool to produce a gas in the weld that but blow out weld every where like a lava lamp. Good thing I have a die grinder because I don't think any other tool could get into that space to grind the lava welds off. It sucked because that happened but either then that I easily welded it in. I did some over head welding on the bottom to connect the piece of angle to the 2/6, It was the trickiest thing to weld IMO but turned out good.

Ya your two door turned out really good. looks sweet.

I would have done the same but I couldn't figure out the hinges on my xj and I decided to repair the bottom of my doors instead of cut the bottoms off.

Thanks

My Mood
    Drunk
    bump for winter project searchers

Time Online: 6 Days 3 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs
    Looks great, glad you bumped it!! Good idea for that, it needs to be done on mine as well...
    96 ZJ, Under the knife, 6.5", Custom Longarms, 4.88, One Tons, 40" MTR's
    97 ZJ Limited V8, DD
    97 XJ Sport, 4.5" RE & Some Stuff...New Addition to the collection, What to do with it???